Show your creativity and have some fall fun by decorating a scarecrow for the annual contest. There are more than $1,000 in cash prizes to win this year!
Please note there will not be a team building challenge in 2020 — we are looking forward to bringing it back in 2021!
Scarecrows must be entered at the registration booth between 10 a.m. and 12 p.m. on Saturday, September 19, on Reed Street in Akron. Final location will be announced soon. No advance registration is required. View full contest rules and scarecrow specifications here.
Judging will take place at 2p.m., with winners announced online. Scarecrows will be on display in downtown Akron through 6pm on Monday, September 21.
All scarecrows will be auctioned off online. More details to be announced soon!! Entrants in the Preschool through 5th Grade category can choose to keep their scarecrows. All others will be auctioned.
Age Category Winners
Three winners are chosen in each category with a total of $600 in cash prizes.
Preschool through 5th grade
– First place – $50
– Second place – $40
– Third place – $30
6th through 12th grade
– First place – $80
– Second place – $60
– Third place -$40
– First place – $150
– Second place – $100
– Third place – $80
Best of Show
A Best of Show winner is awarded to one entry from all categories, including Friendship & Service Club member entries.
Club Choice Awards
Cash prizes of $25 will be awarded to scarecrows in 10 categories. If no scarecrow meets the criteria for a category, that prize will not be given. Categories include:
- Most Creative – featuring the most unique or creative uses of materials to build a scarecrow
- Best “Scare” Crow – the scariest entry we can find!
- Best School Spirit – celebrating Akron-Westfield pride or your favorite college or university spirit
- Best Community Spirit – showing pride in Akron
- Nature’s Harvest – best use of natural materials
- Best Use of Recycled Materials
- Most Clever
- Most Patriotic
- Best Book Character
- Best Movie or TV Character